Creativity and New Media




     
               I have never really had the time to check out these virtual reality worlds out since I played runescape back in middle school. With this Assignment I had the opportunity to look for some virtual reality worlds and I did exactly that. After looking at some of these websites I found out how expensive living another life could be! Anyways I chose this website Second Life, which allowed me to create my own avatar and submerge into another world. The process of signing up was very interesting as it seems that everything these days is connected with Facebook, because at the end of the day they have all your information and it allows the virtual world to be shared with your friends.
                                           

     After signing up I was given the choice to sign up to a free or premium account. It blows my mind that somebody would actually pay $6 to have an avatar and create his own house!


  I obviously chose the free account and was able to submerge into this world. They did ask me to download the virtual world, which I did and to tell you the truth it wasn’t the most exciting thing! I mean all I had a chance to do was change around my clothes and details in my face and hair. This part of changing around your clothes and physical traits can really get to you! I mean I was stuck for 30 minutes trying to make this avatar look like me. I went around the space and saw other avatars, tried to make a conversation but didn’t receive a response. At the end I spent 2 hours building an avatar and experiment the virtual world. It really surprised me that people have time for this type of stuff because it’s 1:40AM and there are about 80 people in the room walking around. To conclude, I think this broaden my creativity a bit but in the end I feel like its very time consuming and definitely don’t have the time to be around this world that often.
         





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Networking: Better or Worse than the Real Thing?

Modeling Reality with Virtual Worlds

Social Networking Sites